You are here

Past, Present, and Future

Groton Community School, Inc. can trace its history back to the 1930's and has been housed in various sites in Groton throughout the years.  Our roots go back to a little brick schoolhouse on Long Hill Road, followed by a residence on Main Street, with an official beginning in 1934 as Groton Community Kindergarten in the First Parish Church.  Subsequent sites were at Grotonwood and the Prescott School building.

In 1984, the school moved to its present location, and built a space especially for young children. Our classrooms have been designed to accommodate the energy, curiosity, and creativity of young children. Each room is bright and appealing, complete with a variety of learning materials, and includes special features such as a loft and kitchen area designed for creative art and cooking activities. A large multi-purpose room, used for our creative movement program, also plays host to a variety of children's events, musical programs, and special guests. Our facility is carpeted and air-conditioned.

All classrooms have direct access to their own patio and garden area, and a spacious, safe and well-equipped, fenced-in playground.  We value outdoor play to foster children’s development, and redesigned the playground as an extensive outdoor “Playscape” in 2002 to enhance outdoor fun and learning opportunities.

Groton Community School benefited greatly from our affiliation with the Learning Express educational toy store in Acton, MA. Founded by a former Board of Directors President with board member collaboration as a fundraising idea, the concept of the Learning Express toy stores has grown in popularity, with numerous franchises nation-wide. We are proud that this first Learning Express store – initially owned and operated by Groton Community School - inspired so many others to participate in what became the Learning Express Corporation.

While many of our families are from Groton, others come from nearby towns. The school is supported by tuition, fund-raising efforts, and family involvement.  It is a non-profit, non-discriminatory organization, and is licensed by the Massachusetts Department of Early Education and Care.

Our “Forward Motion” Campaign is exploring the possibility of expanding our children’s center to maintain the highest standards for our facility and staff, and create spaces for interactions among children, families, staff, and our community.  We are striving for sustainability into the future, for the well being of the school and the environment.

Right Column 

Alexa and Emily

Our Memory Garden honors the past.

Owen and Joanne

Welcoming generations

Belly and Baby

School-wide "Peace" celebrations foster kindness and hope for the future.